The Power to Liquid (PtL) concept is based on the conversion of renewable energy (RE) to liquid fuels and chemicals such as methanol, oxymethylene ether (OME), ammonia, and Fischer-Tropsch (FT) products. These liquids offer the high energy density that is required for aircraft, ships and other applications with a high power demand and the need to serve long distances.
In addition, advanced thermochemical catalytic processes are able to produce “drop-in” fuels that are compatible with the existing infrastructure. Oxygenated fuels based on methanol, i.e. DME and OME, are gaining increasing interest as they offer improved combustion properties that could help to reduce local emissions. An essential precondition for PtL is the availability of hydrogen or synthesis gas that has a very low CO2 footprint. If this is fulfilled, the well-to-wheel CO2 emissions of PtL products can be reduced by 90 % as compared to the fossil benchmark. PtL fuels and chemicals are needed to meet the targets of the UN Paris Agreement on climate change. Long-distance transport and worldwide trade of PtL products are a vital component for the ongoing integration of renewable electricity into the energy system and industries. In addition to the fuel pathways (Methanol to Gasoline, etc.), green methanol offers an exciting perspective, as sustainable platform molecule, for introducing more RE into the chemical industry via sector coupling.
Our R&D Services comprise:
- Process development of more efficient, cost-optimized processes based on H2/CO2/CO or H2/N2 feeds according to the needs of our customers in the process and chemical industry
- Technological and economical evaluation of PtL processes determining Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), evaluation of business models of PtL products and systems
- Studies assessing the potential of PtL process for your specific location
- Design, test and characterization of tailor-made catalysts for PtL processes
- Assessment of complete process chains by steady state and dynamic simulation for PV/wind power, water desalination, electrolysis, hydrogen storage, compression unit, thermochemical synthesis, transport and utilization in mobility, process and chemical industry
- Tailor-made rectification processes for raw PtL product purification together with our industry partner for application tests (engine tests, etc.)
- In-house design, construction, programming, commissioning and operation of mini-plants for PtL production
- Analysis of time on stream effects, catalyst behavior and extraction of real-time process operational data
- Life cycle assessment and cost analysis (Well-to-Wheel)