Unclean drinking water presents an enormous health risk – especially in developing countries, where 80 percent of all diseases are caused by polluted drinking water. The problem is particularly serious in rural regions without any power supply.
Against this background, Fraunhofer ISE develops stand-alone, solar-powered drinking water treatment systems. A spin-off company for solar thermal processes based on membrane distillation was founded: Solar Spring GmbH.
Our services in the area of decentralized water purification comprise:
- Development and characterization of semi-permeable membranes
- Simulation and design of solar water purification systems
- Manufacture of prototype plants and modules for thermal membrane distillation
- Construction of plants using photovoltaic-powered reverse osmosis
- Plant monitoring, including off-grid areas
- Advice and support on additional aspects of water purification, such as sterilization
- Research into solar thermal processes for separating substances